A question of fire door compliance for double doors?
Advice you'll love.
We are constantly asked if two fire doors can be placed together as a pair, the short answer is yes they can.
If you need or prefer to fit two doors together but need to comply with fire regulations there are several compliance issues to bear in mind.....
- All long edges and both top edges must be fitted with a combined fire & smoke seal, generally speaking a flush seal can be fitted but it is usual for one of the meeting edges to include a fire seal which combines a brush seal.
- Each door must have (at least) class 13 hinges fitted, a minimum of 3 hinges per door.
- A fire compliant "paper" must be fitted behind the hinge leaf.
- Each door must have a self closing device.
- No door can be allowed to be secured in the open position.
- If the doors form part of a stipulated fire escape route the doors must open in the direction of the escape route.
- Vision panels incorporating fire retardent glass may also be required.
We always suggest you get a specification from your local planning official, the specification should outline all their requirements, although the regulations are fairly clear and consistent it has been noted that their interpretaion is not, be warned.