Making an attic ceiling hatch
Not quite as large as a door or a door frame but using the same principle fitting techniques.
Creating an opening
- Plan the size of your hatchway before anything.
- With a tape measure, measure the dimension of the hatchway.
- Once set, use a power saw to cut into the surface.
- Use the power saw to smooth the edges of the opening.
Fitting a frame around the hatch
- Plan to line the opening with softwood, 30 mm (1 in) thick. These lengths of softwood should be joined at the corners. Skew-nail the corners to secure them on the opening. Use a mitre box to cut the ends at a 45 degree angle.
- Fit the softwood within the opening. Use a spirit level to check that it is straight.
- Screw the frame to the softwood and fill any gaps with thin pieces of wood.
- To access the hatchway, you’ll need to install a ladder.