Secured by Design
About Secured by Design
It is the official initiative of UK Police combining the principles of 'designing out crime' with physical security.
Secured by Design (SBD) was established in 1989, is the title for a group of national police projects focusing on the design and security for new and refurbished homes, commercial premises and car parks as well as the acknowledgement of quality security products and crime prevention projects. It supports the principles of ‘designing out crime’ through physical security and processes.
Secured by Design works with the industry and test houses to create high level security standards, responding to trends in crime, and has given input on a number of key standards .The principles of the scheme have been proven to reduce the risk of crime and the fear of crime.
Facts & figures
- Secured by Design developments (those using products and materials that meet Secured by Design Standards) are up to 75% less likely to be burgled and show a reduction of 25% in criminal damage.
- The additional cost of using Secured by Design standards in the average home is only around £170.
- The Association of British Insurers has estimated that the introduction of Secured by Design standards across the UK would bring more than £3.2 billion worth of savings to the economy over 20 years.
- Householders who aren’t offered security recommendations after a burglary are 69% more likely to suffer a repeat incident than those who are offered advice.
- High crime is one reason why people move home. One survey noted that 5.3 million people said that concern about crime levels and a desire to move to a safer location was their main reason for moving home.
- The London 2012 Olympic Park and the 2014 Commonwealth Games Village were both awarded full Secured by Design status.
- A study of Glasgow Housing Association properties claimed that there had been a saving of £18,304 in the research area due (in some part at least) to the introduction of SBD.
- SBD installation pays for itself in at the most 2 years in saved costs of crime with two alternative methods of measurement suggesting shorter periods of as little as eight months.
- Crime in England and Wales is estimated to create 12 million tonnes of CO2 emissions – equivalent to 2% of the UK’s total CO2 output.
Externa Virtuoso composite door SECURED BY DESIGN
In order to achieve Secured by Design status, WB External Virtuoso composite door has been rigorously tested and must adhere to the organisation’s strict standards.
Secured by Design in our doors meets the national standard for safer homes and is also recognised by many insurance companies.
When buying Virtuoso door with Secured by Design specification the door will carry an official security label near the bottom hinge of the door. Do not accept anything other than a genuine Secured by Design Virtuoso composite door.
#securebydesigndoor #securedoor #secureexternaldoor