Fitting a Bathroom Lock
Video showing how to fit a bathroom lock
DirectDoors.com supplies a range of locks.
1. Check the width of the door stiles, these are the vertical rails that form the doors frame, make sure you choose the correct width / depth of lock, choices are normally 65mm or 75mm.
2. Place the lock against the face of the door so that the locks face plate is flush with the door edge, now take a pencil and make a mark through the locks spindle holes to the door face, the locks spindle hole and the spindle that will "lock" the lock allow the handles to work the lock correctly after installation.
3. At the pencil marks mentioned above, Use a wood drill bit of the correct size to drill very carefully through to the opposite door face BUT stop as soon as the drill point appears on that opposite face, repeat the process from this opposite face.
4. Check the thicknesses of the locks back case and choose a wood drill bit that is the correct size, the back case is the body of the lock, not the face plate which remains visible after fitting.
5. Attach a small piece of electrical tape on the shaft of the drill bit at a point that matches the depth of the overall lock back case, this will allow you to gauge how deep in to the door to drill, make several holes in the area of the door edge and to a height to suit the length of the back case of the lock, you may have to finely and carefully clean out the remainder of the cut out.
6. Try placing the lock in the newly formed cut out until the locks face plate hits the door edge, use a sharp pencil to mark the door edge around the locks face plate, judge how thick the face plate is and use a sharp chisel to cut a shallow recess to suit the face plate but do not chisel off the pencil marks, chisel within them, test the lock in the newly formed shallow recess.
7. If everything has been done correctly you should now place the lock in the cut out and fix with screws, now you should be able to place the handles and lock turn button which forms part of the handle against the door face and fix correctly using the screws etc provided.
Our range of doors